Thursday, February 15, 2024

Personal Excerpt I - Introduction

 

Personal Excerpt I | Introduction

February 2024

            My name is Brittany Cardona. I am currently studying at the University of South Florida as a first-year student. I am an English major with a focus in Pre-Law and a concentration in Creative Writing. With my love for reading and writing in mind, I chose the concentration that I believed would allow me to finetune my writing skills. This choice was made with the intent of advancing my career as a government writer or attorney.

I have two, beautiful, younger sisters and two, incredibly hard-working parents who were born in Venezuela. They are my pride and joy, my role models, and everything I aspire to be. It is with their love and care that I have better understood my identity as a Latin American. Hearing my parents’ stories and living through certain events - both good and bad – has provided me with immeasurable insight into my culture and heritage. As a published Her Campus writer, I once wrote a piece for Hispanic Heritage Month covering my roots in Venezuela and Colombia and my experience growing up in America - a generally, finicky environment for immigrants, and at times, the children of these immigrant folk.

Along with participating in activities such as swimming, running, and sewing, I am deeply passionate about contributing to discussion, volunteering, and interning for impactful organizations. The course, “Road to the White House” (which includes a trip to South Carolina), led by Dr. Judithanne McLauchlan, has given me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to partake in all three. While in South Carolina, and even before, my fellow classmates and I were participating in thorough and honest political work. Even after the trip and course are over, there is no doubt that the momentum we have generated will continue to guide us on an unstoppable path towards change.  

 

#Youth Making a Difference One Step at a Time